The Crime Cabana

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Crime Cabana

True Crime Discussion

3 posters

DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself...

tezi
    tezi
    Admin

DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself... Empty DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself...

Post by tezi Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:16 am

This story is sad and bizarre. I am still trying to figure out exactly why this woman would kill her daughter. I am posting the links, and hopefully we can get a good discussion going about this.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/jayne...-98389809.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.2117039.html

http://www.wcbs.tributes.com/show/Do...eters-82553861

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6677865.shtml

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.2117039.html
    (This story discusses the suicide notes, bizarre!)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1417affd5.html
    (Discusses that the Mayor was being asked about misuse of the city credit card)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/16...est=latestnews
    (Talks about the possible foreclosure of the home)

http://cbs11tv.com/local/coppell.may...2.1809444.html
    (This one talks about how the Mayor apparently killed her daughter almost a full day before she killed herself.)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1470e8774.html
    (Minister talks about possible reasons for the Mayor's actions)

http://cbs11tv.com/local/coppell.may...2.1809444.html

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/071610-Coppell-Mayor-Jayne-Peters-Used-Fellow-Mayor's-Gun-in-Murder-Suicide
    (Talks about where the Mayor obtained the gun she used in the murder/suicide)

This story is very bizarre. I can understand the Mayor killing herself, but not her daughter. I don't think the daughter knew anything about what her mother did.
    teh
    teh
    Admin

DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself... Empty Re: DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself...

Post by teh Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:51 am

I saw this.....I understand she was having financial problems, but dayum! I'm with you, why kill the daughter?????
    gozgals
    gozgals

DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself... Empty Re: DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself...

Post by gozgals Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 pm

I find it tragic she would take her own daughter's life too. How very sad. It makes no sense to me
    I know she suffered the loss of her husband and father but still. How could she do this? Articles stated
    nobody realized she was having any problems either. I'm just baffled. There had to be a better way for
    this educated woman to cope with her situation that did not include taking her life and esp. the life of her
    child.

My thought would be she feared being alone when her daughter left for college. She probably could not stand
    losing another person in her life. Her life probably had too many losses of loved ones and left her with not
    enough time to handle going through all the grief. Still, she had no right to end her child's life.

I know I have not even began to grieve my mother's death as I feel I need to process this with someone. I have never
    thought of taking a life though. I have felt great loss and a sense of depression.

Goz
    teh
    teh
    Admin

Post by teh Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Good point about the daughter leaving, that may very well be the reason.
    tezi
    tezi
    Admin

Post by tezi Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 pm

I think she was scared of the daughter leaving home, that is why the college application was never filled out. And when she ran out of time and excuses she figured she had to kill her daughter to keep her from finding out. Shades of Mark Hacking. IMO
    gozgals
    gozgals

Post by gozgals Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:28 am

Tezi- expand more on you Mark Hacking theory though. I would like to understand why you feel that way.
    I'm not sure how I see it fitting in this case.
    Mark Hacking, now that is some discussion. I can't even begin to say how I feel about his sentence and what this man did.
    Funny, I know someone who has some shades of Hacking in him, (the way he lies) not the murder aspect. Wow, the
    Hacking case brought back many sad memories to me Tezi.

Thanks

When I get a chance, I think I will look up where Hacking stands today.
    Goz
    tezi
    tezi
    Admin

Post by tezi Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:04 am

gozgals wrote:Tezi- expand more on you Mark Hacking theory though. I would like to understand why you feel that way.
    I'm not sure how I see it fitting in this case.
    Mark Hacking, now that is some discussion. I can't even begin to say how I feel about his sentence and what this man did.
    Funny, I know someone who has some shades of Hacking in him, (the way he lies) not the murder aspect. Wow, the
    Hacking case brought back many sad memories to me Tezi.

Thanks

When I get a chance, I think I will look up where Hacking stands today.
    Goz

Just the lies that she told. And living the lifestyle that was above her means. Maybe I'm wrong to compare her to MH, but that was the first thing I thought of when I heard that her daughter hadn't even applied to college.

I think MH comes up for parole in 2034.
    gozgals
    gozgals

Post by gozgals Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks Tezi.

I think I confused MH with someone else who may have got a slap on the wrist. Thank God he is not
    able to see daylight for a long, long time.

I see what you mean now and why you would make the comparison.
    tezi
    tezi
    Admin

Post by tezi Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:49 pm

gozgals wrote:Thanks Tezi.

I think I confused MH with someone else who may have got a slap on the wrist. Thank God he is not
    able to see daylight for a long, long time.

I see what you mean now and why you would make the comparison.

Goz,

Hacking was sentenced to five to life. I thought it should have been just a straight up life sentence, but that's just me.

When I read about the lies, I thought of MH.
    tezi
    tezi
    Admin

Post by tezi Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Here is a new article. It is an opinion piece, but I feel it is well written.

The Mayor Of Coppell's Mother-Daughter Murder-Suicide - Pride Over Love

Sex. Or money.

I said this and wrote this (over at the Dallas Observer) when the story of the Mayor of Coppell’s “suicide pact with her daughter’’ first broke: The “suicide pact’’ angle is not the most obvious or the most logical.

The “mourning over the family’s husband/father who died of cancer in 2008’’ angle doesn’t work for me, either.

And the “Jayne Peters loved her 19-year-old daughter more than anything’’
    angle? I don’t know how anybody involved said that or wrote that with a
    straight face.

So we should always start at the start when trying to make sense of these
    things, when trying to get to the core and the truth of what happened.

Sex. Or money.

JaynePeters, the mayor of Coppell, left notes scattered about her home with
    specific instructions for the people who would have the misfortune of
    finding the bloody body of the daughter she murdered with a borrowed
    handgun before she committed suicide. There was a typed-out prayer and a
    scribbled-out note and a carefully positioned urn containing her husband’s ashes and in a most cowardly act, a written attempt to suggest that death is what her daughter wanted.

Oh, and there was the note about how Jayne wanted her dogs cared for.

This woman murdered her 19-year-old daughter. In cold blood.And out parade the ignorant, the apologists and the wackos.

"She loved her daughter more than anything.'' "The death of her husband a
    few years ago really upset her.'' "It must've been an accident while she was cleaning her gun
    .''

There are never excuses for this and there is no way to soften the blow by calling it something other than "murder.'' Mrs. Mayor might've been "lonely'' or worse, "a tortured soul.'' And she might've been a wonderful public servant, too.

But she had to also have been mentally unstable, dangerously so, and as I always predict, when we go looking for reasons for murder -- and let's quite soft-peddling this as anything else, OK? -- we'll probably find the old standbys: Sex. Or Money.

And there it is: She was broke. Living in a $423,000 home, putting on airs, putting personal charges on her City of Coppell credit card, renting a car for her daughter (again, at the city’s expense) and telling Corrine that she’d purchased it as a high-school graduation present, pretending the daughter was bound for the University of Texas … all while her house seemed to be in a constant state of foreclosure.

This was largely premeditated. She stole money. She borrowed a gun two weeks
    ago. She murdered her daughter a full day before she offed herself. And she left hints and suggestions and notes making it seem like it really wasn’t her fault. ...
    that Corinne wanted to die like this.

It is not true that Mrs. Peters “had no help.’’ I personally know people who tried to help Mrs. Peters through her grief from losing her husband.

I also know that when you complain of having “no assets’’ – the excuse made for this at her Friday funeral – you ignore that lovely $423,000 house, the sale of which might’ve prevented Jayne from stealing money from the city.

Maybe she'd taken out a second mortage? Maybe she was buried in debt? You
    sell the house. You live in an apartment. You cease shopping at the hippest stores. Your daughter attends community college. You cope.

Or, at the very least, you help your daughter to cope.

The
    smartest comment to come from this is delivered by my friend Ralph Strangis, the great Dallas Stars voice and a proud citizen of Coppell.

If Mayor Peters had revealed to friends that she needed financial help, says Ralph, who considered himself one of those friends, “It would have been 'It's A Wonderful Life.’ This town would have turned its pockets inside out. There would have been a line out the door."

It sickens me to look at Mrs. Mayor’s notes and see that she allowed her pride to get in the way of actually living her life. She did not love life enough. That is sad … but it can be argued that one has a right to suicide.

It sickens me more to hear Mrs. Mayor's friends say how much she loved her daughter. She did not love her daughter enough.

She violated her own daughter in the most hideous way, robbing her of her future and robbing her of her rights and robbing her of her life.

Mayor Jayne Peters did not love her daughter. Not really. Not rightly

But with the care reflected in those instructional notes, she sure loved those dogs.

I broke my own rule, by not copying and pasting everything, but I felt this article hit the nail right on the head. Please ignore the formatting.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullArchiveColumn.php?id=3329
    DFW Area Mayor Kills Daughter Then Herself... Coppel10

Last edited by tezi on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : attempt to fix formatting)
    tezi
    tezi
    Admin

Post by tezi Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Avis owner recounts renting to late Coppell mayor

Coppell Mayor Jayne Peters was polite and well-spoken as she rented the 2011 Hyundai Sonata she is believed to have passed off as a high-school graduation present for her 19-year-old daughter. She told Justin Voigt on June 2 that she'd
    only need the car for a week. "When she spoke, I trusted what she said," said Voigt, who owns and operates the Avis outlet in Lewisville. "I'm not in the business of trusting people very often."

~~~SNIP~~~

Police have yet to classify the crime as a murder-suicide. Police and city
    officials did not respond to requests for interviews Tuesday. City spokeswoman Sharon Logan said last week that police were trying to
    piece together the timeline surrounding the women's deaths.
    ~~~~SNIP~~~

If Peters is seen in the tape, it will fill in a gap in the timeline of the women's final hours. Corinne Peters was last seen at 6 a.m. July12. She was putting something in a car in the driveway of the house. Jayne Peters was seen 15 to 20 minutes later when she took items out of the car.

~~~SNIP~~~

Jayne Peters was last seen about 12:30 p.m. walking along MacArthur Boulevard. It is unclear when exactly the women died or how much time
    elapsed between the shots that killed them. Their times of death have not been released by police or the Dallas County medical examiner's office. So it's not yet known whether Corinne Peters was already dead in the laundry room, towels wrapped around her head, when her mother was seen walking along MacArthur Boulevard.

Coppell City Manager Clay Phillips asked the city attorney to investigate
    charges on the mayor's card hours before she and her daughter were found dead. The city attorney's investigation into the credit card charges is expected to be completed within a week. Among the unexplained charges were three charges for more than $1,600 to an Enterprise Rent a Car in Lewisville. A spokeswoman for that company declined to comment Tuesday.

~~~SNIP~~~

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/072110dnmetcoppellavis.2761e1b.html

The above BBM, is just strange, I wonder why LE still hasn't ruled this a murder/suicide. There surely isn't any question that this was a murder/suicide is there? I also wonder what the Mayor was doing in the hours after she shot her daughter, writing the notes? I think she planned this and it probably took her awhile to get the nerve up to kill herself after she killed her daughter. So much of this doesn't make any sense, but I guess it never will. JMO, MOO, and all other disclaimers.

Last edited by tezi on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : to attempt to fix the formatting)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:33 am